FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Courtesy of Suffolk Athletics Communications
HARWICH, Mass. – The sixth-seeded Suffolk baseball team saw its 2017 historic season end Sunday afternoon as fifth-seeded Babson eliminated the Rams from the NCAA New England regional in a do-or-die contest by a score of 9-1 at Whitehouse Field.
SCORE: Suffolk 1, Babson 9
RECORDS: Suffolk (28-17) | Babson (29-14)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The team's traded runs in the first frame with the Beavers using a two-out, Harrington single up the middle to start the scoring, before the Rams capitalized on a bases loaded walk by Luke Ronchi to even the score at 1-all.
From there, Babson's offense fired on all cylinders scoring a pair of runs in the second, one in each of the next four and another pair in the eighth. Suffolk, meanwhile, could not find its rhythm as it was kept off the scoreboard the remainder of the way for the final 9-1 margin.
- Suffolk's two hits in the outing came off the bats of lead-off hitter Brady Chant and Suffolk's second batter Sean Cameron.
- Kevin Sinatra allowed four runs (three earned) on eight hits, three walks and had three strikeouts in 2.2 innings.
- In relief, Mark Fusco gave up five runs on nine hits and three walks with four Ks through 5.1 frames.
- Wyatt Stanley shoved his final frames as a Suffolk Ram with a scoreless inning of work.
- Edward Lehr pitched a complete-game, one-run, two hit, five-walk, five-strikeout victory.
- Cameron and Chuck Gibson, who threw a lights out game versus third-seed #22/18 St. John Fisher Thursday, were named to the all-tournament team.
- The appearance on Championship Sunday in the NCAA Regional was the first-ever for Suffolk in its seven trips to the Big Dance.