Assistant to the Commissioner
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference seeks qualified
applicants for the position of Assistant to the Commissioner. The
NCAA Division III Ethnic Minority & Women’s Internship
Grant Program has awarded the GNAC a two-year grant. This position
will provide the intern the opportunity to gain valuable experience
in the management of the day-to-day operations of a college
athletic conference. Under the guidance of the Commissioner,
Director of Media Relations and the intern’s mentor the
Assistant to the Commissioner will be assigned the following
responsibilities during the two-year period:
- Conference Special Events: Take lead role in the development of conference wide DIII Week programming; coordinate Play 4 Kay; coordinate one GNAC community based coaching clinic and coordinate conference wide community service projects.
- Conference SAAC: Work with GNAC SAAC Conference Advisor, institutional SAAC Advisors, the GNAC Student Athlete National Committee Representative and Student Athletes on GNAC SAAC programming and outreach.
- Conference Communications: Assist the conference Director of Media Relations with various tasks including the archival process of conference data and statistics on the GNAC website; learning the StatCrew software to provide game-day support for the conference members; assist with the creation of multimedia pieces and continue to promote the GNAC's social media presence.
- Championships and Awards: Assist the commissioner in overseeing conference championships and playoffs including the promotion and administration of men’s golf, swimming and cross country. Oversee the GNAC Commissioner’s Cup Award program; NCAA and GNAC Sportsman of the Year Award; NCAA and GNAC Woman of the Year Award; National Student-Athlete Day Giant Steps Awards and the GNAC Institutional Sportsmanship Award.
- 2014 GNAC Professional Development Seminar: Assist the commissioner with the coordination of the 2014 Professional Development Seminar. The seminar is held for 200 attendees including coaches, assistants, AD’s, SID’s, ATC’s, Deans of Students and Presidents. Coordination of event will include securing the location; publicity of the event; securing keynote speaker and organizing agenda for the day.
- NCAA Compliance: Assist the commissioner with bylaw updates, interpretation and new legislation
- G. GNAC Specialist Program: Assist with the coordination and leadership of 5-10 volunteer interns that work with the conference in a variety of areas including promotions, website maintenance, broadcasting championships, writing press releases, utilizing StatCrew and assisting at championship games.
- GNAC Hall of Fame : Coordinate the nominations and voting for the Class of 2014 induction.
- Equipment agreements and corporate partners: Research potential partners/distributors and negotiate the best contract for each of the GNAC sports. Act as the GNAC liaison with the NCAA Purchasing Website, placing orders and distributing supplies.
- New Sport Sponsorship: Assist the commissioner , assistant commissioner and the sport chair with the implementation of the addition of Field Hockey as a GNAC championship sport
- Additional Duties/Projects to be assigned by the Commissioner.
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree and a sincere desire to enter college athletics administration. Preferred experience in media relations, desktop publishing, website management, knowledge of StatCrew, and general computer knowledge. Strong writing, communication, organizational and multitasking skills, and a working knowledge of intercollegiate athletics are preferred. This two-year, full-time position (10 months each year) reports to and is evaluated by the conference Commissioner. The office will be based in Boston, Massachusetts. Salary will be $20,100 per year. Some benefits will be provided. Start date is August 1, 2013. The successful candidate must attend an orientation August 1 & 2 at the NCAA Headquarters in Indianapolis and the NCAA Convention in San Diego in January.
The GNAC is an NCAA Division III conference of 12 institutions: Albertus Magnus College (New Haven, CT); Anna Maria College (Paxton MA); Emmanuel College (Boston); Johnson & Wales University (Providence, RI); Lasell College (Newton); Mount Ida College (Newton); Norwich University (Northfield, VT); Rivier College (Nashua, NH); University Saint Joseph (West Hartford, CT); Saint Joseph’s of Maine; Simmons College (Boston); Suffolk University (Boston). In 2013-2014 the GNAC will sponsor championships in 17 sports for men and women. Husson College, Elms College, Regis College, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Rhode Island College, University of Southern Maine, Worcester State University, Wentworth University, Emerson College, Ramapo University and Newark Rutgers University, Becker College and Daniel Webster College are currently associate members. The GNAC also enjoys outstanding professional partnerships with Children’s Hospital Sports Medicine, Doubletree Hotels, Fenway Printers, Brian Honan Charitable Foundation, New Balance, Reading Trophy and Presto Sports.
Qualified applicants are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and three references (with phone numbers and email addresses) electronically to Commissioner Joe Walsh, at email@example.com.