GNAC Sports Marketing & Multimedia Content Specialist Internship
The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) is now accepting applications for a Sports Marketing & Multimedia Content Specialist in the conference office for the 2017-18 academic year. This position includes a $2,500 stipend (no other benefits) provided through the NCAA Division III Diversity grant funding program. You MUST BE a current senior undergraduate female and/or ethnic minority student at one of the GNAC's 13 institutions looking to flourish in the sports administration or sport communications industry upon graduation.
● Be working towards a obtaining a bachelor's degree in communications, public relations or marketing, sport management or a related field
● Have experience working in an intercollegiate sports information office, marketing, or multimedia field
● Maintain a positive attitude and possess a willingness to work hard
● Candidates should be highly motivated and energetic with an attention to detail and accuracy
● Time management skills with the ability to work evening and weekend hours upon request
● Adept oral and written communication skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Google Drive and a proficient grasp of AP Style
● Strong fluency with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.)
● Proficiency with sports photography and desktop video editing software is a plus
● Advanced knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign and other desktop publishing programs
Individuals wishing to apply should submit a résumé with a cover letter as a single PDF document, as well as provide contact information for three professional references, and any supplementary writing/video/graphic design/social media samples attached via email to GNAC Assistant to the Commissioner Annie Jenkins (email@example.com) by no later than Tuesday, September 19, 2017. Review of résumés will begin immediately. If selected for an interview, the candidate will be notified promptly.
Duration of Part-Time Internship: Semester-long paid internship (about four months and 14 hours per week; with flexible hours to accommodate academic credit requirements if also used as an internship-for-credit.)
Job Description: The Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) Office is seeking highly motivated currently enrolled undergraduate students who are interested in gaining experience in multimedia athletic communications, sports marketing, social media, graphic design, strategic planning, and athletic administration. Students with strong written, verbal, and social media communication skills, and are dependable and can easily work independently and as a member of team are encouraged to apply.
The GNAC will use NCAA diversity grant funding to create this part-time paid internship position to provide a woman and/or ethnic minority with opportunities for creativity and growth within the ever-evolving landscape of college athletics. This internship aspires to honor the efforts of the Division III Diversity and Inclusion Working Group by increasing ethnic and racial diversity and gender equity in college sports hiring practices. This position will enhance the foundation of a diverse and inclusive culture within the Division III conference office environment.
Under the direct supervision of GNAC Assistant to the Commissioner Annie Jenkins, as well as GNAC Commissioner Joe Walsh and GNAC Asst. Commissioner for Media Relations Michael Ghika, this semester-long intern will assist with the promotion of the GNAC’s 13 institutional athletic departments and its 3,000+ student-athletes by developing an overall social media engagement strategy and creating specialized multimedia content.
Work Environment: This position requires the ability to work nights and weekends as assigned with limited office work in Winthrop, Mass. also expected. Limited travel may be necessary around the six New England states, although a large portion of this internsihp may be completed remotely.
Responsibilities: The GNAC Sports Marketing & Multimedia Content Specialist will assist the GNAC conference office staff with coverage of its 20 NCAA Division III conference championship sports with a focus on social media planning and integration across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other emerging platforms. This position will also provide support in the preparation of media relations material, graphic development, and visual coverage of a variety of the GNAC’s 20 championships to heighten conference visibility for the purpose of engaging student-athletes and enhancing their overall experience and success. The success of this internship is dependent upon the intern’s ability to increase the GNAC’s prominence on the national stage, and to improve the championship environment through more media coverage and pageantry. By introducing new media strategies and research methods, the conference office will have the ability to measure how many people we reach and learn how to better optimize and engage this audience in the future.
The Student Specialist will assist with:
● Promotion/publicity of the conference across its 20 championship-sponsored sports competing at the NCAA Division III level
● Game Day operations and sports information championship event coverage (set-up, press releases, social media, videography/photography) for various championship athletic events
● Creating unique multimedia and featured content for the www.thegnac.com website and our social media outlets
● Daily website maintenance and making strategic recommendations for redesign efforts
● Organization of archival information, conference research projects, records books, photographs, and statistics as part of a large-scale research project for a November 2017 strategic planning initiative
● Other duties as assigned